We offer programmes designed specially for people living with dementia, both the person with the diagnosis and his or her care partner to enjoy together.
- the D’music’a choir — a community choir welcoming individuals with a memory challenge, their family supporters and care partners along with other community members with regular rehearsals and public concerts
- Portals to the World — a programme of museum-based learning opportunities in the form of courses and meetings hosted at the various museums in Cambridge’s city centre
We also support carers by running seminars, skill-building workshops and co-hosting regular community meetings and events:
- learning and peer-to-peer meetings — monthly lunch and evening meetings bringing former and active carers together with health professionals
- Carers seminars — small facilitated groups with a focus on carer learning and support
- Skill building workshops — opportunities to develop skills and techniques to support better a person with dementia
- one-to-one support — access to support, advice and guidance
Researching and Evaluating Dementia Services and Programmes
We work with researchers to identify ways to improve the lives of people living with dementia. Together we have investigated improvements in nutrition and exercise courses as well as the benefits of museum engagement and learning.
Working with Dementia
Alongside our work to support people living with dementia, we support health and social care professionals with resources, links and guidance. We aim to share skills and techniques which focus on abilities while understanding the impact of dementia on both the person with the dementia diagnosis and his or her care partners.
Talking about Dementia and What’s Possible
We talk about dementia as often and openly as possible and believe that we need to be dementia-facing if we are to improve opportunities for those living with dementia. We speak at community events and to groups in our community to raise awareness of what’s possible and what we offer. We also speak at conferences and training events to highlight and share our work and the evidence behind it to colleagues and professionals.
There is a variety of dementia-related resources available in Cambridgeshire but it can be hard to identify what is available and if it’s right for you. Our community calendar identifies events that support or include individuals living with a dementia, care partners, family and friends as well as health and social care professionals.